The Lagos State Government (LASG) has identified the provision of POWER as a key area to be addressed if it intends to sustain its growing mega city status. As such, the Fashola administration through its 10-point development agenda identified the development of an energy security strategy that supports the state’s economic development program.
The Lagos Energy Academy was established in October 2014 to provide comprehensive technical training for young people in the Power, Public lighting and Energy development. The training school is located at the Lagos State Electricity Board premises in Ikeja GRA. The objectives of the Lagos Energy Academy are as follows:
- Provide international - standard training in all areas of the power value chain ranging from generation, transmission, distribution and training on power sector components such as transformers, meters and control panels.
- To provide industry standard training for young citizens and produce employable graduates.
- To deliver medium and long-term social and economic benefits to citizens and society in the state by improving local content inputs, building local capacity, improving energy efficiency and creating new jobs.
- Improve the standard of electricity technicians and professionals in Lagos State and Nigeria.
- Establish a Certification Scheme - to ensure that professionals have received and continue to receive a high level of training and experience.
- To establish a Research and Development (R&D) centre where new technology in Power generation, distribution and management can be developed.